With Christmas right on the Horizon, don’t forget to do the things that make you feel wonderful inside! Now is the time to share the things that you find fun or enjoyable with others, to spread holiday cheer, and put smiles on the faces of those that you love, or even a stranger. In this post, we’re going to share ways that you can enjoy the upcoming holiday and ease your worries about celebrating during the pandemic while providing you with ways to do so safely.
It’s the time of year when families gather around to celebrate with one another. But during COVID-19, this can be difficult for seniors who may not be able to join their families or friends in person for the holidays. We’re here to tell you, while this may be the norm, for now, it won’t always be this way. Now is the time to celebrate what we have, and nothing can take the holiday spirit from those that love the joy that Christmas can bring!
The holiday season can be lonely and isolating for seniors who are home-bound or weary about being around large groups. However, there are ways to enjoy the holidays safely during COVID-19! Let’s take a look at some great ideas that will help you stay safe while still enjoying your favorite activities during the holidays.
A Few Ideas You May Like
Whatever you choose to do, we want you to realize that the holidays are going to be what we make them. The OurSeniors team always looks on the bright side and we encourage our readers and our supporters to do the same. Here are a few shareable last-minute ideas on how you can celebrate your holiday.
- Stay connected with family and friends online or on the phone if you can’t be there in person
- Watch festive classic movies like “A Miracle On 34th Street” or “A Christmas Story”
- Listen to classic Christmas carols like “Jingle Bells” or “Deck The Halls” while flaunting your best “ugly sweater”
- Create cards and crafts to send to friends and family members. This is great Christmas Eve activity and can be paired with piping hot apple cider and Christmas movies or music in the background. Not to mention you could even pick a shared activity to do with the family virtually.
- Play games like charades, bingo, Scrabble, Yahtzee, etc.
- Read stories to or with the grandchildren through a smart home device.
With all of these mentions, we wanted to show you that there are tons of last-minute ideas that can make the holiday season that much more fun and exciting! We encourage you to introduce something old or something new to your family or to a friend so that you can increase the amount of Christmas spirit and engagement in our community.
Keep Traditions Alive or Help Another
Additionally, your family may also enjoy a few other ideas.
- Create a list of family traditions that you want to keep alive, and then create new traditions for your family. What’s great about doing this is that it pushes us to come up with potential traditions that can be adaptable. No matter what’s going on in the world, there will always be certain things that we can do to enjoy the holidays with those that are closest to our hearts without them being affected.
- Wrap up some warm clothes, blankets, or canned food as gifts for those who might not have anything at all during the winter months. Always remember that there are people that may need a helping hand. We believe in lending a hand when one is needed or extending a warm smile to make someone’s day. If you’re able to do something to help another, consider doing just that over the holiday. A kind gesture is always met with another, in some way.
With Christmas approaching rapidly, there’s no time to waste. No matter how you decide to spend your Christmas, the OurSeniors Team is wishing you all a happy, healthy, and safe holiday!