Although we are isolating ourselves from each other and keeping our distance, this is not an excuse for slowing down our life or discontinuing our routine. While things have changed and our social gatherings, outings and other activities have come to a halt, we should not give up on our socializing and entertainment. We should just change it up in the meantime!
There are a variety of creative ways we can socialize with friends and family during this time of social distancing. If you have not tried using Facetime (on the iPhone) or Skype, this is a great time to learn the technology and see your loved ones face-to-face. Once you have a hang of it, you can include multiple people to your conversation and set up a date and time to have a virtual get together. Whether you previously got together for dinner, happy hour, morning prayer or afternoon lunch, you can incorporate this routine to an online format to feel that sense of your life continuing rather than pausing.
During this time, exercising is more important than ever. It helps reduce stress levels, keeps immunity up, releases endorphins for happiness and prolongs health for the long run. Some of us may be blessed with a nearby park, a pleasant neighborhood with a sidewalk or a beach nearby to go on walks, but others may not be as fortunate and have to make do with materials at home. A few beneficial tools worth investing in are online fitness classes, fitness equipment such as a treadmill, stationary bike or rowing machine, and fitness accessories such as a yoga mat, neoprene dumbbells, resistance bands or a fitness ball. We recommended doing research on these items to determine what is best for you to use.
While more of us are at home, gyms across the nation are providing services for people online to continue their fitness routine. A few free fitness classes that we think you will love are below.
- The YMCA has launched on-demand videos for a variety of workouts with Active Older Adults classes available to view. If you have always wanted to try a bootcamp or tai chi class, this is your opportunity to step out of your comfort zone!
- Fitness company, Peloton is offering a 90-day free trial which includes 20+ live classes per day and thousands on-demand with everything from walking and meditation to strength-training and more. If you enjoy it, you can purchase a digital membership for $12.99/month.
- If you enjoy yoga, CorePower Yoga is offering free access to a limited collection of classes. Beginners should look for videos labeled with a “C1” on it as each video depends on your level.
- Those with minimal exercise equipment will love Blink Fitness classes that are live-streamed on Facebook at 8 a.m. EST because workout challenges can be done with household items.
- Planet Fitness is hosting “Home Work-Ins” on Facebook for anyone to join in at 7 p.m. EST daily. For those unable to attend, the YouTube channel has the videos on-demand after the broadcast is over.
We hope this information is useful for you and promise to continue providing tips on how to make use of this time at home. OurSeniors.net magazine strives to be your biggest resource for all things senior living!